My Grey and Purple Wonky Log Cabin blocks (started HERE) have been moving on nicely. I have been trying to pace myself and stitch only one or two a day as I find time. I have a little work setup with all my strips laid out in groups, a cutting board right next to my sewing machine and the ironing board just to my left. Add in a lovely comfy rolling office chair (with no arms of course!) and I’m stitching and pressing and trimming away happily for hours!
I had to buy a 12.5″ square ruler for squaring up the blocks after the final border had been added. I decided to try the Cutting Edge ruler, which has one edge embedded with diamond grit to help keep cutter blades sharp. I have to admit I’m hard on my blades, I push much harder than I should, and I’m too cheap to change them as often as I should. This ruler looks like it will at least prolong the life of these poor blades of mine! I’m planning on getting different sizes of them each time I start a new project, so eventually I’ll have a full set!
My first 9 blocks awaiting trimming! I had to make some guesses how this would turn out when adding the borders, I erred on the side of a bit too much fabric than too little.
The Cutting Edge ruler in action. I love all the extra markings it had, which would be really useful for squaring up all sorts of blocks.
9 perfectly square blocks ready to go!
I just laid them out across the table to get an idea of how it was all working. 9 blocks isn’t enough, but it’s a decent amount at 12.5″ square. I did make a mistake in squaring up, and a couple of the border strips have barely 1/4″ left at the far edge. Because they will be sewn next too a deeper border on a different block, it will just be a bit fiddly to sew. I will try to keep an eye on this for the future trimming. Meanwhile I have to be very gentle with all these blocks until they are sewn up – every edge is a bias edge, and they are all stretching and fraying like mad. Not something that I had expected when picking this pattern, but I’ll just have to work through it.
Just for fun, because I’m not really that fussed about the result, I checked the blocks overall for value – lights, mediums and darks.
Looks pretty balanced. The borders all read pretty light which was what I intended, and the darks where about where I expected them to be also. So on with the next blocks!
Please be aware that there may be affiliate links in this content. Your support allows me to keep creating for you!