I mentioned earlier the paper piecing butterfly challenge that designer and blogger, The Tartankiwi was sponsoring. Although it caused a little bit of tears and frustration, especially when it came to un-sewing long teeny stitched seams, I am excited to share with you my finished 12″ butterfly!
Made almost entirely from scraps, and I also made some adjustments to the pattern as I was going.
In the original pattern the left and right wings are not symmetrical, they have different curves and shapes. So I printed out mirrors of the side I preferred, and used those instead of the original side. I added in some extra strips because I wanted to reduce the amount of black in the wings. I also had to insert an extra seam into the centre body piece top and bottom because my green scraps weren’t large enough, or my brain not smart enough, to follow the original design. So instead there are two small angled pieces and a straight piece top and bottom, and finally there are two extra seams in the top green of the wings because once again my brain can’t cope with angles and I used too small a piece…. on both sides!
I was a little careless and let the butterfly loose in the garden where it headed straight for the brightest flowers….
I was able to safely recapture it however, and it is tucked away for now, waiting to be made into a mini-quilt, or maybe a happy cushion…. Sadly it doesn’t have a name yet! I would love it if you suggested one for me in the comments. I’d better be off to gather some more flowers for the poor thing, it’s dark and dreary in the cupboard.
Please be aware that there may be affiliate links in this content. Your support allows me to keep creating for you!