So, another week, another practice cushion. This time I whipped up a super-simple rail fence block out of strips of 3 different pink patterns. My mind had it looking a little different, but I am still pleased with how it turned out.
It was pieced very quickly after dinner New Years Eve, and then I had to piece some scraps of batting and calico to finish off the sandwich. I am still working through Leah Day’s video class on Craftsy, so I thought this pattern would be fairly simple for me to try. It was and it wasn’t. I had trouble with my thread breaking several times due to the thickness of the seams underneath. I had issues with keeping the lines smooth and evenly curved, and evenly spaced. Then, to add insult to injury about 11pm I ran out of thread! It took a few days to buy some more and give it another shot. Eventually the motion became more relaxed and natural, and I think maybe with some extra practice I could use this on a bigger quilt.
It is very hard to see the quilting pattern over the busy fabrics. That hides a multitude of quilting sins!
The calico back shows the quilting more clearly. At the time I was very frustrated with it, but the more I look at it now, the more I enjoy the freeform organic nature of the pattern. It *skip* says it has a feeling of stylized waves, such as you would find in a Chinese woodblock print.
So of course, I had to make it into another cushion!
Complete with some op-shop fabric, I think it was originally meant for curtains as it was rubber backed, and a pair of funky vintage buttons. A quick and simple project, but it’s a hit with the family!
Next up on the quilting table is finally finishing off DS2’s quilt, now that I have got the backing fabric for it. Hoping to have it finished by the weekend, but it’s a huge quilt for a domestic machine, 60″x90″ so it’s certainly an ambitious project!
Please be aware that there may be affiliate links in this content. Your support allows me to keep creating for you!