The great t-shirt pattern hunt is on, using 3m of interlock I picked up from the local thrift store.
Contender 1 was the Blank Canvas T-shirt from 3hourspast.com.
See the pictures and post here.
Contender 2 – Burda Start 3197 T-shirt.
Time taken – 1 day from pattern pinning out to finished.
Yes, that’s right. It’s a beginner t-shirt pattern, but with facings. Go figure. Also, the cover picture has dramatically changed from the original publication. I’m guessing I picked this up somewhere in the late 90’s. I had already traced out everything for the 40″ bust size except one facing piece, but never made anything from it. Maybe I decided that the facings just weren’t worth the hassle?
After striking out with the first pattern, I thought that something with sleeves and a bit more structure would help with the fitting issues. Although I absolutely hate facings and don’t see the point of them on the neckline of what should just be a casual t-shirt, I decided to just go with it to see what it looked like.
Finished product – very happy with it. I did a double row of topstitching around the neck and sleeve hems, but an invisible (blind) hem on the bottom figuring it was stretchier than plain straight stitch. I also didn’t feel like setting the overlocker back to cover stitch at 11pm at night. The hem could do with a proper press, however our iron has decided to be permanently debilitated, so it’s being replaced, asap!
As you can see, the neckline is a LOT better. There is a bit of “puckering” around the underarm/upper bust, so next time I will try reducing the seam allowance on the side seams just marginally first, and trying it on from there. I think with a knit with more stretch and not so rigid, it will sit better. I also haven’t washed these yet, and have no idea if the fabric was originally pre-washed, so I’m sure it will soften after a few runs through the machine. To be perfectly honest, ready made shirts have the same fitting issue on me, so it’s not something that I really pay a lot of attention to.
Would I make it again? Yes, but I would like try a rib neckline instead of a full facing.
That being said, I have purchased a couple of metres of the most gorgeous printed jersey to make some “dressy” t-shirts. I have also bought some interfacing that is a bit softer for the neckline, as I just used what I had on hand and it was certainly too firm for this type of garment. So yes, this pattern, for what it is worth, is a keeper! It definitely needs to be made a bit longer still. Or I might just leave the hem allowance and finish the jersey with a pretty rolled hem.
Stay tuned for Contender 3!
Please be aware that there may be affiliate links in this content. Your support allows me to keep creating for you!
The search for the perfect T-shirt – Part 3 | Hands, Heart, Passion
[…] See the pictures and post here. […]
Beautiful Bright Blue Shirt | Hands, Heart, Passion
[…] again, as the fit was really good and I’m not scared of facings. I used the same size as previously, however I did reduce the seam allowances a little on the side seams as this fabric has a tendency […]